Sunday, February 28, 2010

Why some people cannot heal...


Many years ago I knew a Reiki Master and Aikido Sensei who taught me many things about martial arts, and about healing. There is one thing that he told me that I will never forget. I had asked him what he disliked about healing people (or animals too, for that matter). He put it this way;

"Imagine that you see someone pounding repeatedly on their thumb with a hammer, and screaming in pain. So you lovingly go to that person, take the hammer out of their hand, and heal that person to the degree that they will allow you to do so. As soon as the healing is done, and you get up to leave, this person grabs the hammer and starts pounding on their thumb again. That is what I find frustrating."

I never forgot that example, since I have seen it play out so often for so many of us. I know that you cannot heal someone unless they are ready, and they have asked for the healing to begin. However, even in those cases where they have met these requirements, so often they fall back into old, familiar patterns that are so incredibly damaging.

Yes, you are right. It is a part of the path that they must walk, but damn it's so hard to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment